Skip to main content
Topic: Arbitration Question (Read 532 times) previous topic - next topic

Arbitration Question

Team A trades arbitration eligible player to Team B.  Can Team B offer arbitration to that player?
Mike
Santa Ana Sea Wolves

An analog soul in a digital world

Re: Arbitration Question

Reply #1
Yes. Basically, contracts never change even though players may move around. The only time contracts are affected are in late-season trades when that specific year's dollar amount can be reduced by 50-75%.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #2
Thanks, Kyle.  AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
Mike
Santa Ana Sea Wolves

Reply #3
Mike, the only thing that can be affected by trades are the home team discount.  Our rules state:

• The HTD will be 10% for players who are re-signed by a team for which that player played at least 3 years but which did not originally promote that player.
• The HTD will be 15% for players who are re-signed by the team that originally promoted that player regardless of the length of the original contract.
• There will be no HTD for players signed to the league minimum.
• HTDs can be awarded even to a player who previously held a 3 year contract and who signs to a new 1 or 2-year contract. However, once that 1 or 2-year contract expires, you will not be awarded the HTD should you re-sign the player two years later.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #4
Are HTDiscounts applied to all players ?    I consider two main groups of players:  1) Drafted Rookies with or without Arbitration that are hitting free agency.   and 2) then Signed Free Agents that are hitting Free Agency again ? 

HTD applied to both groups ?    
Bob Miller
The Great Auk

Reply #5
I admit I don't fully understand that rule.  Could you provide examples of each?  Not being obtuse, I just don't quite grasp the concept.
Mike
Santa Ana Sea Wolves

Reply #6
Are HTDiscounts applied to all players ?    I consider two main groups of players:  1) Drafted Rookies with or without Arbitration that are hitting free agency.   and 2) then Signed Free Agents that are hitting Free Agency again ? 

HTD applied to both groups ?    

That's basically correct.  But they have to play for you for 3 years minimum.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #7
I admit I don't fully understand that rule.  Could you provide examples of each?  Not being obtuse, I just don't quite grasp the concept.

From your team, if you re-signed David Peralta at the end of this year, you would get a 10% discount as he was signed by your team in 2021.  Austin Barnes however was signed to a 2 year deal in 2022 so he would not be eligible.  Likewise, if you resigned Garrett Hampson next year, you would get a 15% discount since you promoted him and he played for you for 4 years (assuming you don't waive him now).  As a comparison, Matt Chapman on my team (ARB 2) would not be eligible for any HTD since he was promoted by the Sweets and I subsequently acquired him in December 2018. 

Notes on trades are included in the rosters spreadsheet on the page titled, "Players."  The notes are in the transactions column.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #8
Thanks, David.  That pretty much clears it up for me.
Mike
Santa Ana Sea Wolves

Reply #9
As a comparison, Matt Chapman on my team (ARB 2) would not be eligible for any HTD since he was promoted by the Sweets and I subsequently acquired him in December 2018.

I'm not sure if I follow this about Chapman. If you traded for Chapman in December 2018, he has played 4 seasons for you (2019 - 2022). So, it would seem that he would be eligible for a 10% HTD (but not 15%, since he was promoted by the Sweets) if you resign him, since he has played at least 3 seasons for you. Sorry, maybe I'm being dense here, but Chapman seems like a prime example of the difference between 10% and 15%.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #10
Jason,

You're absolutely right.  Chapman does not qualify for the 15% but does for the 10%.  I was trying to draw a distinction between him and Hampson and wasn't clear.
David
Phoenix Miners