Skip to main content
Topic: Head-to-Head gaming - let's do it (Read 855 times) previous topic - next topic

Head-to-Head gaming - let's do it

Show of hands: How many MSB owners have played at least one regular season or post-season series head-to-head in the DMB program?  If you have, you know it's a blast. It's also slightly nerve racking. Keeps you up at night. And causes "what if" questions of which you'll never know the answers. 

If you haven't, I understand. But you're missing out on some amazing baseball fun. After all, you built the team. It's your baby. You signed that 8th-inning guy to be used in the 8th inning. You signed that contact hitter with a VG bunt rating and put him in the 2-hole among other reasons for that bottom-of-the-ninth, nobody out, men on first and second, one-run down game. You signed that reliever who has excellent numbers against the glove side. You kept that pinch hitter on your 26-man roster for that 8th-inning, home field advantage RBI opportunity in a tie game. But what does the DMB computer often do? Uses your 8th-inning guy in the 6th when you're 5 runs down. Pinch-hits for your perfect 2-hole hitter with the strikeout king of your team. Uses your excellent glove-side reliever against the arm-side in a tie game with runners in scoring position. And leaves your power-hitting pinch hitter on the bench when you're one run down in the ninth.

Good news! There's a solution to this madness! It's Head-to-Head games!

No, it's not usually a pain to set up. No, it doesn't take 3 hours to play a game. No, you don't have to keep playing a blowout game. Yes, you can play on a slow computer. It takes about 45 mins to play a close game. You can chat live with your opponent all game long. You can tell the computer to automatically finish blow out games. No, we don't have it set up to make you think ahead and get relievers warming up before bringing them in. Yes, you can literally take forever to make a bullpen move if you want. Or a pinch-hit decision. Or defensive replacements. Or chat about the weather between pitches for 20 minutes. Or whatever. There's no clock except for the social clock, since you're making your opponent wait. But your opponent isn't a prick. He's a Mutineer, and he likes you. So no worries.

I've heard a lot of decent reasons for owners not playing H2H. I don't have time. I don't want to make a mistake and cost my team the win. I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure it out. I've never done it, so I don't wanna look dumb while not knowing how to set it up. All can be valid. But again, games are way faster than you think. And would you rather YOU - team builder - make a mistake, or DMB make an even dumber mistake? The tech stuff can be walked through step-by-step with your fellow experienced owners. And well, suck it up and stop caring if a jerk thinks poorly of you because you're not a computer geek.

This is not a proposal to make H2H mandatory. I'm not vying for all games to be H2H, or even one series a season to be H2H (though I do think that'd be great for the league for all kinds of reasons). No, this post is simply an invitation to make the jump. Do it. Heck, do exhibition games before the season starts. I know I can speak for at least Rod, and probably 3 or 4 others who would love to show you all you need to know.

Calling on all owners who've played H2H to check in. Would you be willing to show another Mutineer the ropes?

Let's discuss this.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Re: Head-to-Head gaming - let's do it

Reply #1
Although the answer to this question "would you rather YOU - team builder - make a mistake, or DMB make an even dumber mistake?" is I'd rather DMB make the mistake ... I'd like to make it my goal to play a H2H match at some point. Time is the biggest issue but it's not like I never have time.
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #2
Hold on while I admit to something that pains me…

I am fully in alignment with everything Kyle just said. There. I said it. Don’t feel good about it. But everything he said it absolutely true.

Why do Kyle and I give each other so much good nature ribbing? It’s from the multiple sets of regular season and playoff series we have played H2H. All the banter back and forth during the game, it’s a blast. I whole-heartedly urge everyone to give it a try.

And trust me, don’t be nervous about giving it a try for the first time. We all start somewhere.

My advice?
Play an exhibition game against the computer. Manually. That will help you learn all the game functions and dynamics without having to learn during a H2H game. Plus it’s a great way to learn more about your team. How and when to use those bench spots and bullpen. And then ask someone to play an exhibition game H2H. I promise you’ll be hooked from there.

Thanks Kyle for sending this out. And reach out to me if you want to play a game sometime.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #4
You're welcome, my friend. I've been meaning to for some time now. Tons of fun when time allows.

Reply #5
I haven’t played a H2H series in about 2 years, but I am game this season.  If I recall, I think the hardest part is getting your router security to allow you to host a game?

Reply #6
My advice would be to use Hamachi. That allows you to create a virtual private network so you can bypass opening the router port. Provided you don’t have crazy security setup, David found that out the hard way last year. If you’re using windows defaults Hamachi makes it really easy.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #7
Would something like Hamachi allow me to stream MLB.TV for my home team?
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #8
I don’t think so
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #9
Would something like Hamachi allow me to stream MLB.TV for my home team?
Dan, ExpressVPN works for me. $60 for 6 months. You can pay $8.32 a month for 12 months, but since I only use it to get past MLB's stupid regional broadcast rules, I do the one-time $60 payment around opening day. In Tucson, not only are the Dbacks (of course) in my region, but so are the freaking Padres. Firgure that one out. 6 hours from PetCo Park. I'm 7 hours from Dodger Stadium, but no, they're not in my region, of course. So with the old 19-games-a-year-against-rivals, I was unable to access 38 games!

I suggest you do their free trial on opening day to see how it works.

Reply #10
Thanks Kyle. Do you use the VPN only for access to MLB.TV or for everything?

The only other way I could think to work around it was to have two people sign in.  I give them my login info and they give me theirs. But I suppose MLB might catch on to where your ISP is located regardless of the login info.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #11
Thanks Kyle. Do you use the VPN only for access to MLB.TV or for everything?

The only other way I could think to work around it was to have two people sign in.  I give them my login info and they give me theirs. But I suppose MLB might catch on to where your ISP is located regardless of the login info.
Yeah, the friend log-in thing doesn't work.

I use the Express VPN solely for fooling MLB.com. Not all VPN's work, but Express does. I turn it off during the day cuz it acts like an anti-virus on steroids when it's on.

Reply #12
I've been playing H2H for several years. It is enjoyable and easy to do. Most connection problems are solved by using the Hamachi direct tunnel. It is free for our level of use and loads in a jiffy. These aren't arcade games, so a speedy computer isn't necessary.

This being the beginning of my maiden voyage in MSB, I'm not sure how often the games are simmed. But if a deadline for submitting H2H scores were published each week, transition to partial H2H could be smooth. Looks like most of the series consist of 3 games, so a series would usually be completed in 2 hours.

Contact me here on the forum or call me at 206-713-1661 to set up some practice games.

Butch
Walla Walla

Reply #13
Dan, regarding the Express VPN discussion, it appears MLB.TV has finally figured out how to detect that, too. I can't watch Diamondback OR Padres games because they are "in market." I get the DBacks, but the Padres? How in the world is Tucson in San Diego's blackout space? We're 6 hours away!

The Dbacks claim to be on Bally Sports, but when I downloaded the app, the only option they give me is for all but the DBacks games. I'm getting a little frustrated. I stream YouTube.tv because it's the best price around here. But I may have to consider COX again... Ugh...

Reply #14
I thought this was a thread about H2H?

Hmmmm…

As always, blame @Kyle
Rod
Scurvy Dogs