Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone read Keith Law's book yet? (Read 1745 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Anyone read Keith Law's book yet?

Reply #1
Smart Baseball: The Story Behind the Old Stats That Are Ruining the Game, the New Ones That Are Running It, and the Right Way to Think About Baseball

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Baseball-Behind-Ruining-Running/dp/0062490222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498594940&sr=8-1&keywords=smart+baseball

Any good?  Thoughts?
A lot of my online friends at the Big Blue Wrecking Crew (Dodgers fan board since the late 1990's) really don't respect Law's opinions.  Reasons range from being wrong a LOT about prospects; bouncing back and forth between opinions; misunderstanding the newer metrics; and on and on.  I personally never read him because he was so disliked.  ESPN may be the biggest in sporting news, but they're not at all the best.  And Keith Law's reputation precedes him enough for me not to go searching specifically for his input.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #2
That's awfully short sighted . . . I always go to straight to Keith Law for information.

There are few sports writer's with better insight into restaurants, recipes and literature reviews. 
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #3
I haven't yet, but I probably will give it a try at some point.

But yeah, a lot of the guys he's hyped as prospects haven't panned out. But that doesn't mean I ignore him. And the book seems interesting, even if it's not new information.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #4
I tried to read some of this, but only made it a couple chapters. Let me recap - batting average, pitcher wins, RBI, saves, sac bunts, stolen bases (unless you steal at a very high percentage) = bad. On-base %, WAR, FiP = good. Got it...

Honestly, I didn't even make it that far...
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #5
I tried to read some of this, but only made it a couple chapters. Let me recap - batting average, pitcher wins, RBI, saves, sac bunts, stolen bases (unless you steal at a very high percentage) = bad. On-base %, WAR, FiP = good. Got it...

Honestly, I didn't even make it that far...
Eye-opening, cutting edge stuff, I tell ya.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion