Skip to main content
Topic: Trade Question (Read 470 times) previous topic - next topic

Trade Question

I have a question for the troika.  Can a GM pay more for a player than his salary?  If I want player X whose salary is 250K can I offer 400K for his services.  Asking for a friend.
Mike
Santa Ana Sea Wolves

An analog soul in a digital world

Re: Trade Question

Reply #1
Typically the way you would do this is to take an additional player from the other team and then immediately waive that player.  You can't increase salaries in the middle of a contract.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #2
Interesting question tho! Perhaps what Mike is asking is not so much to increase that player's salary, but to send $150K to the team along with picking up the $250k player. In other words, can we send cash considerations?
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #3
Yeah that's what I was getting at by taking an additional player.  Cash considerations are totally fine.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #4
So wait... to be clear, I could offer an owner more money than the player's contract value? The scenario would probably be that said player had a long contract and had a better real-life current year going, making him more valuable. We can do that? I don't think I've ever seen it. That's not a complaint - I like the idea.

Reply #5
Sorry to join the discussion later than I should but Kyle expressed the essence of my question perfectly.  If Player X has more value to me then could I offer to take up the 250K plus send along 150K to swell the other team's coffers?
Conversely, if I own player X and get an offer for said player can I agree to sell only if the other team sends along some cash to sweeten the deal?
Mike
Santa Ana Sea Wolves

Reply #6
What I meant by cash considerations are fine is that you can basically salary dump an excess player as a substitute for cash.  But you can't send cash as part of a trade.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #7
OK.  It would seem like something you might want to consider since it's done every day in MLB.  You can't just arbitrarily dump a player without another team willing to take on the extra payroll in MSB.
Mike
Santa Ana Sea Wolves

Reply #8
I'm confused.   Intrigued but confused.   I'll pour me a Beam tonight and reread this and try to figure out what ya'll discussing.    
Bob Miller
The Great Auk

Reply #9
OK.  It would seem like something you might want to consider since it's done every day in MLB.  You can't just arbitrarily dump a player without another team willing to take on the extra payroll in MSB.
Agree with this. Could the CO consider this for a rule change next year?

Reply #10
We'll add it to the offseason rules discussion. I get where you gents are going with this, but for me I'm opposed. It seems a little messy on the salary side.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #11
It's not messy at all IMHO.  Just a matter of adding another column to the spreadsheet and inserting a positive or negative number.  It's actually pretty straightforward and no more messy than "hometown discounts" or salary deductions due to injury.
Mike
Santa Ana Sea Wolves

Reply #12
We'll discuss in the offseason. We don't implement rule changes in-season unless something is broken in the database that is impacting game play. Hopefully everyone appreciates that!

I don't know how everyone else feels about this, just saying I agree with David's point that we already have a mechanism in place for this. I promise every team has a "bad" contract or two that if needed could be included in the trade to even out the salary aspect of the trade. These players typically are immediately waived. If they are on an expiring contract it's essentially the same thing as what is being proposed.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #13
Wow, I can't believe I have never noticed we can't trade cash! In my other league almost all transactions involve cash in some way and I would have just assumed we could!

I can show you how we track it if this seems like a thing.
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #14
I said it would be “messy”, but in reality it’s not.
It would just be a positive or negative supplemental NRO. Nothing to really change on the salary file in my opinion.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs