Skip to main content
Topic: E-Rod Non-Trade Discussion (Read 226 times) previous topic - next topic

E-Rod Non-Trade Discussion

There enough Tigers and Dodgers fans on here that I thought this might be an interesting topic to discuss. Here are my questions:
   * When Eduardo Rodriguez used his no trade clause to kill yesterday's trade, what do you think happened?
   * Was Scott Harris misled regarding E-Rod's willingness to approve the trade or did he fail to do his due diligence?
   * I doubt that any of the blame falls on Andrew Friedman but does he bear any responsibility?
   * Did E-Rod just change his mind at the last minute?
   * Is this just an example of journalists getting ahead of a story and ended up being wrong?
   * Any speculation on what the Dodger's side of the trade might have looked like? With the rapid trade of Eddys Leonard for cash last night, I'm guessing he was part of the deal. But I would guess there may have also been another player (or two) in the deal.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Re: E-Rod Non-Trade Discussion

Reply #1
I haven’t read very much about the story except that Rodriguez used his no trade clause at the last minute. I do think the blame has to fall on Harris, willing to trade someone on his team without checking with that player regarding the no trade clause. That said, The Dodgers waited a long time to make a deal for a starting pitcher, and time ran out. That’s on Friedman.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #2
All facts
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #3
I haven’t read very much about the story except that Rodriguez used his no trade clause at the last minute. I do think the blame has to fall on Harris, willing to trade someone on his team without checking with that player regarding the no trade clause. That said, The Dodgers waited a long time to make a deal for a starting pitcher, and time ran out. That’s on Friedman.
The blame lies primarily on three people: Harris, the agent, and the headcase, Rodriguez.  Rodriguez' agent has said he was in contact with his client throughout the trade process, yet no concerns were ever raised.  Personally, knowing LA was on the no-trade list, I would have been asking the question repeatedly and if there were any hesitation I would have let it be known to all concerned.  Of course we all know that agents are not the most reputable individuals (yes, Bore-a$$, I'm looking at you...).

In the end though, this falls squarely in the lap of the player.  Pulling the plug at the last possible minute is just bush league.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #4
I guess I side with the player on this one. He negotiated a limited no-trade clause into his contract for a reason. Whatever that reason is. He simply executed his mutually negotiated and agreed upon contract.

Should he have said earlier he didn’t want to go to LA? Probably. But there’s nothing in his contract that says he has to do that.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs