Skip to main content
Topic: Argonauts Shoot Their Shot (Read 212 times) previous topic - next topic

Argonauts Shoot Their Shot

While the six team dog fight in the Kenneshaw Mountain Landis Conference has taken up much of the 2023 news cycle, the five or perhaps six team race (depending on who you are talking to and how optimistic they are feeling on a given day) has been equally as bloody and it's become painfully clear a deserving team will be on the outside looking in.

Seeing that ugly writing on the wall, the Mother Lode Argonauts have pushed their wealth of (Minor League) chips in the middle this evening, determined to avoid watching the playoffs from home by acquiring Yandy Diaz (2023, $1M) to boost their offense, Drew Rasmussen (2023, $1.25M) to shore up and drastically improve their rotation, and Ryan Yarbrough (2024, $1.5M) for contract and bullpen depth + Math (prorating).

Contrary to that upward trajectory, this trade tells the story of the shifting tides in arguably the most competitive Mutiny Simulation Baseball League in years if not ever. And it's a reminder that what goes up, must come down.

For an ACL's team that has been at the pinnacle of competitiveness for what seems like forever, falling out of the playoff race has been a bitter pill to swallow, but one they are taking on with gusto and the realization that if they learn the lesson early, they can get back to contention much faster. With that in mind, they have acquired prospects Jasson Dominguez (minors), Seth Johnson (minors), and the talented but underperforming Luis Patino (2025, $0.5M) plus contract filler in Mike Clevinger (2023, $3.5M) + Math (prorating).

We shall see how quickly the ACL's build back up. But our first judgements of this deal will be whether the Argo's make some serious noise in October. Only time will tell for both.

Great working with you Ja(a)son, and good luck with your rebuild.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Re: Argonauts Shoot Their Shot

Reply #1
The ACLs confirm that the white flag have risen with this deal. Put in Clevenger for Rasmussen in the rotation. I'll make a roster move to clear the other spots.

Matt, thanks for a smooth trade (even with the maths), and good luck making the playoffs.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #2
CO confirms.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
trade processed in the database

@profjason - I put Clevinger in the rotation. But you didn't have a 3b active after this trade. So I promoted Urias and farmed Wade. Hope that's ok?
Rod
Scurvy Dogs