Skip to main content
Topic: Miners Arbitration Eligible Players (Read 251 times) previous topic - next topic

Miners Arbitration Eligible Players

I am still considering whether to offer arbitration to the following players but am likewise interested in trading any of them for draft picks or salary cap relief.

Trent Grisham, $2m/ARB1, will need a $1mn increase
Cedric Mullins, $5.5m/ARB2, will need a $1mn increase
David
Phoenix Miners

Re: Miners Arbitration Eligible Players

Reply #1
Neither of those two are on your DMB roster. They're listed as free agents. I don't mean to hijack your trade thread, so if we want to take this to another part of the forum, that's cool. But why do we do that? IMO, our ARB guys should stay on our rosters until we decide not to keep them. I really don't see a reason to go through the motions to take them off.  It's kind of a bummer to run reports on "free agents" in the database, jot down their availability for the auctions, only to find out they were under someone else's team control all along.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #2
@Kyle - I hear your argument. I really do.

But in my opinion it’s simply much easier to release everyone with a 2023 contract, regardless of arbitration status or not. And then add them back in when (if?) they get offered arbitration. But I 100% understand your argument that it does make a mess of the FA report for a couple weeks.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #3
@Kyle - I hear your argument. I really do.

But in my opinion it’s simply much easier to release everyone with a 2023 contract, regardless of arbitration status or not. And then add them back in when (if?) they get offered arbitration. But I 100% understand your argument that it does make a mess of the FA report for a couple weeks.
So I gotta ask the "Why?" question. I'm assuming most arb-eligible players are retained. Is it the other way around? Also, in MLB, an arb-eligible player is never considered a free agent.

Honestly, it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But owners have different ways of prepping for free agency, and one of the more enjoyable things about Mutiny for me is prepping for free agency. My spreadsheets are fun. I'm baseball-nerdy like that. So, since Saturday morning, when I got done removing all the 2023 contracts, I went to work on reports of "free agents" in my areas of need. I didn't even think to consider that about half of them aren't even free agents. So my spreadsheet is now littered with guys who I can't have.

So, if the answer to the "why" question is that a strong majority of arb-eligible players are declined arbitration, I get that. But unless it's more than half (and I'd even argue a strong majority, cuz you just have to put them back eventually), I'm a little lost as to why it's even done at all.

Reply #4
Like I said, it’s a fair argument.
@David Johnson probably has numbers on arbitration cases (comparing the number who get it compared to those that don’t).

Having said that, it has always just been easier for me to do it my way. I realize however that it’s a simple matter of filtering the excel file accordingly. The way you’re asking can be accomplished next year with just a little extra work on my end.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #5
@David Johnson probably has numbers on arbitration cases (comparing the number who get it compared to those that don’t).

Having said that, it has always just been easier for me to do it my way. I realize however that it’s a simple matter of filtering the excel file accordingly. The way you’re asking can be accomplished next year with just a little extra work on my end.

Really hijacked my hot stove thread!
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #6

Really hijacked my hot stove thread!
Hey, at least we kept it looking lively!