Skip to main content
Topic: HOTN: July 16 (Read 835 times) previous topic - next topic

HOTN: July 16

HotN:
Every time we have a shutout I try to make sure I look at the boxscore, one of these times we're going to have a no-hitter. We've come close so many times, but I can't recall one. At least not since I've been running the games. But of all the close calls we've had, Jake Arrieta might have had the closest shot at one today. Arrieta was as best described, effectively wild against the ACL's as he had 9 walks against only 4 strikeouts. But he also hadn't allowed a base hit through 7 innings. But with this pitch count already at 122 pitches the computer GM denied us a shot at the non-no and brought in Hardy to start the 8th. Who promptly gave up a base hit to the first batter he faced. Small consolation for the Cutthroats is they won the game 5-0 as Arrieta improves to 5-7 on the season.

Honorable Mention:
The Bombers win 4-0 in 10 innings over the Koi. This was scoreless heading into extra frames, and speaking of no-hitters the teams had only combined for 6 hits up to that point. But home runs by Davis and Jones scored the winning run in the top of the 10th to put the game away.

Honorable Mention #2:
Who had Daniel Murphy as the preseason MVP favorite? He's all over the top of the leader board and has to be considered the front-runner at this point.
1st in batting average (.353)
3rd in OBP (.384)
1st in slugging % (.663)
1st in hits (131)
1st in runs (70)
2nd in RBI (72) - even more impressive since he's doing it from leadoff
3rd in doubles (28)
2nd in HR (27)
1st in extra base hits (58)
1st in OPS (1.047)

I could go on and on. Anyway, he was at it again in the Dogs 6-5 win over the Nomads. Murphy went 4-5 with 3 runs, 5 RBI, and 2 HR. The 2nd HR was a walkoff which sealed the win.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs