Skip to main content
Topic: Bombers-Nomads Deal (Read 3400 times) previous topic - next topic

Bombers-Nomads Deal

Bombers trade J.D. Martinez, $6M/2019 and the recently acquired round 5, pick 7 to the Nomads for Clint Frazier, MiL, Ryan Madson, $2.5M/2018 and Hunter Pence, $3.6M/2017.  Pro-rating applies to all three players.

Martinez was shocked to learn that he had been traded away from the team that originally drafted him for the second time in as many years.  "Oh well, that's the business" he was heard to mutter as he cleaned out his locker.
David
Phoenix Miners

Re: Bombers-Nomads Deal

Reply #1
Nomads confirm.  Thanks David
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #2
Hmmm... I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for this one.  David, in your current rebuild-for-next-season position, why would you give up on Martinez?  Was it all about Frazier?  Is he *that* good?  I think you could've gotten more than just a money swap, one year of Madson, and one good prospect for him.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #3
Kyle, I love you man, but the "better deal" statement irks me.  Martinez and other good players have been publicly on the market since Friday.  Not just any Friday, but the Friday before the website sees the most traffic besides Free Agency.  We've all been on the website multiple times over the weekend.   If teams valued him so highly there's been ample time to make offers.  I'm quite sure David took the best deal out there that fit his needs.  We went back and forth to find a deal that worked for both of us and I believe in the end we arrived at a fair deal.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #4
Hmmm... I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for this one.  David, in your current rebuild-for-next-season position, why would you give up on Martinez?  Was it all about Frazier?  Is he *that* good?  I think you could've gotten more than just a money swap, one year of Madson, and one good prospect for him.

Kyle,

Not that I really need to justify the trade, but I'll bite.  What it comes down to is my rotation.  In the last offseason, I signed a number of bats, including Martinez, in the hopes that my young pitching would have good years and that I could ride young pitching and hot bats to a 2018 championship.  I've had anything but good pitching this year.  Currently, the only guy on my current team that I can defensibly start next year is Aaron Nola.  Seriously.  The rest of my pitching consists of:
  • Homer Bailey (10+ ERA)
  • Odrisamer Despaigne (almost 8 ERA)
  • Robbie Erlin  (still recovering from Tommy John)
  • Brandon Finnegan (who will have maybe 50 IP by the end of season)
  • Kevin Gausman (big regression from last year)
  • Wily Peralta (7+ ERA)
  • Hector Santiago (almost 6 ERA)
  • Adam Wainwright (5+ ERA) and
  • Zack Wheeler (almost 5 ERA)

Obviously I need to sign some starting pitchers in the off-season.  So relieving myself of salary is incredibly important.  While I can't do much with Adrian Gonzalez's albatross of a $7.25M contract, I can do something about some other guys.  So even though I'd prefer not giving up Martinez at $6M since he's highly underpaid, I feel like it's a necessity.  And while I can't fully replace his bat, I figure I'll get 90% of him with either Carlos Gomez, Nomar Mazara, Aaron Hicks, or even Eric Thames (though his fielding % is 100% in RF, he may not have enough appearances to quality in DMB).  I have alternatives in right field; I have none in my rotation.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #5
I also realized one other reason that may make sense to all you Dodgers fanatics out there: I like my real-life team and rootings for its players.  So I'm willing to (possibly) overpay for a Yankee the same way you guys might be willing to trade Mike Trout for <insert Dodger here>.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #6
I also realized one other reason that may make sense to all you Dodgers fanatics out there: I like my real-life team and rootings for its players.  So I'm willing to (possibly) overpay for a Yankee the same way you guys might be willing to trade Mike Trout for <insert Dodger here>.

This makes a little more sense and it's possible that you have followed Frazier since he was drafted. You've seen his ups and downs. That is something I have fallen into and at times I have to "trust" the process when acquiring players or during a draft. Especially in a draft if the player makes it or in some cases falls to me, then well it was good drafting.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #7
Kyle, I love you man, but the "better deal" statement irks me.  Martinez and other good players have been publicly on the market since Friday.  Not just any Friday, but the Friday before the website sees the most traffic besides Free Agency.  We've all been on the website multiple times over the weekend.   If teams valued him so highly there's been ample time to make offers.  I'm quite sure David took the best deal out there that fit his needs.  We went back and forth to find a deal that worked for both of us and I believe in the end we arrived at a fair deal.
Matt, I mean no disrespect to you, OR to David.  I understand JD has been on the market since Friday, but that's only 5 days.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not at all trying to be argumentative, or suggest David got hosed in the deal.  I'm sure it's defensible.  I was just curious about it.

Reply #8

Kyle,

Not that I really need to justify the trade, but I'll bite.  What it comes down to is my rotation.  In the last offseason, I signed a number of bats, including Martinez, in the hopes that my young pitching would have good years and that I could ride young pitching and hot bats to a 2018 championship.  I've had anything but good pitching this year.  Currently, the only guy on my current team that I can defensibly start next year is Aaron Nola.  Seriously.  The rest of my pitching consists of:
  • Homer Bailey (10+ ERA)
  • Odrisamer Despaigne (almost 8 ERA)
  • Robbie Erlin  (still recovering from Tommy John)
  • Brandon Finnegan (who will have maybe 50 IP by the end of season)
  • Kevin Gausman (big regression from last year)
  • Wily Peralta (7+ ERA)
  • Hector Santiago (almost 6 ERA)
  • Adam Wainwright (5+ ERA) and
  • Zack Wheeler (almost 5 ERA)

Obviously I need to sign some starting pitchers in the off-season.  So relieving myself of salary is incredibly important.  While I can't do much with Adrian Gonzalez's albatross of a $7.25M contract, I can do something about some other guys.  So even though I'd prefer not giving up Martinez at $6M since he's highly underpaid, I feel like it's a necessity.  And while I can't fully replace his bat, I figure I'll get 90% of him with either Carlos Gomez, Nomar Mazara, Aaron Hicks, or even Eric Thames (though his fielding % is 100% in RF, he may not have enough appearances to quality in DMB).  I have alternatives in right field; I have none in my rotation.
When you say, "Not that I really need to justify the trade, but I'll bite..." it makes me not want to opine about trades at all, period, ever again.  Especially with Matt being "irked" as well.  I honestly was just curious.  Figured you guys knew me well enough to know I wasn't sitting on my couch yelling at my laptop thinking this was unbelievably stupid.  I just like talking baseball.  If that's no longer a thing with MSB without people feeling offended, I'll stop.

Your reasoning for the trade is sound, by the way. 

Reply #9
If only you'd have started your justification with this.  :)

Reply #10
When you say, "Not that I really need to justify the trade, but I'll bite..." it makes me not want to opine about trades at all, period, ever again.  Especially with Matt being "irked" as well.  I honestly was just curious.  Figured you guys knew me well enough to know I wasn't sitting on my couch yelling at my laptop thinking this was unbelievably stupid.  I just like talking baseball.  If that's no longer a thing with MSB without people feeling offended, I'll stop.

Kyle,

Sorry, I shouldn't have begun my post that way.  I read your original response as bring critical of my decision making in not getting more in the trade.  Perhaps years of critical responses to trades including that John Danks for Ricky Romero trade back in the day that killed the original sim league have ingrained in me that response!
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #11

Kyle,

Sorry, I shouldn't have begun my post that way.  I read your original response as bring critical of my decision making in not getting more in the trade.  Perhaps years of critical responses to trades including that John Danks for Ricky Romero trade back in the day that killed the original sim league have ingrained in me that response!
In fairness, I WAS a bit critical, but figured you could handle me thinking you could've gotten more without being offended.  I really just wanted to have a conversation about it.  The wife's gone for 10 days, and I'm bored!

I have long forgotten about the Danks deal - selective memory, I guess. :)

Reply #12
In addition, I did not think that Martinez's stats this year would stay as high as they are.  However with his being traded to Arizona... I think I've made a huge mistake.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #13
Processed on rosters.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #14
processed in the database
Rod
Scurvy Dogs