Skip to main content
Topic: Realignment? (Read 11572 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Realignment?

Reply #16
I'm not opposed to realignment but I do have two comments on this specific proposal. First, the Brooklyn Kraken are headquartered in Michigan (What, you've never heard of Brooklyn, Michigan? You're obviously not a NASCAR fan). Second, I think it is somewhat important in the near term to have an expansion team in each division. Two expansion teams in the same division could impact wild card races for 2-3 years.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #17
What about this? No one says we have to be married to any preset divisional structure.

East Coast (Bias):
Ankeny ACLs (MD)
Data City Cache Hogs (NJ)
Roxbury Robots (MA)

Great Lakes:
Ann Arbor Landlubbers (MI)
Brooklyn Kraken (MI)
Motor City Madmen (Detroit)
Windy City Rattlers (Chicago)

Travelers:
Barbuda Bulldogs (LA)
Chicago Rum Runners (MO)
Scurvy Dogs (SD)

3 divisions with only 1 wild card for the postseason. Leaving the Northwest and Southwest alone (2 divisions, 2 wild cards). I tried coming up with a geographical reference for SD, MO, and LA but I got nothing...

The downside of course is the Great Lakes has 4 teams while the other 2 divisions in the Sparrow have 3. So it would be a little harder for them to achieve a divisional championship (side note, that division would also have 3 of the existing divisional champs in it. Gulp) But man, that wild card would be ruthless with only one of them out there...
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #18
I'm not opposed to realignment but I do have two comments on this specific proposal. First, the Brooklyn Kraken are headquartered in Michigan (What, you've never heard of Brooklyn, Michigan? You're obviously not a NASCAR fan). Second, I think it is somewhat important in the near term to have an expansion team in each division. Two expansion teams in the same division could impact wild card races for 2-3 years.

Dan, you can blame me for that.  I just made an assumption when I put that together off memory.  One other mistake I may have made is in the location of the Orange County Devils.  Shane has lived mostly in DC, but a little bit in LA.  With that additional mistake, we may be able to move things around a little bit so that the divisions look like this:

Sparrow League

East
Ankeny ACLs (MD)
Barbuda/Antigua Bulldogs (LA)
Brooklyn Kraken (MI)
Roxbury Robots (MA)
Orange City Devils (DC)

Central
Brooklyn Kraken (MI)
Chicago Rum Runners (MO)
Motor City Madmen (MI)
Scurvy Dogs (SD)
Windy City Rattlers (IL)

Roberts League

Northwest
Grants Pass Brewers (OR)
North Natomas Nomads (Northern California)
River City Cutthroats (WA)
Scurvy Dogs (SD)
Seattle Rainiers (WA)
Walla Walla Sweets (WA)

Southwest
Arizona Asterisks (AZ)
AZ Koi (AZ)
Bako Bums (Southern California)
Bronxville Bombers (AZ)
Orange City Devils (DC)

I don't know how you address the expansion team issue.  Both of those Pac NW teams are about as Pac and NW as you can get.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #19
What this thread has shown me is that I need to get bios back on team pages!!!!  And we all need to get together in some central location.
Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #20

Dan, you can blame me for that.  I just made an assumption when I put that together off memory.  One other mistake I may have made is in the location of the Orange County Devils.  Shane has lived mostly in DC, but a little bit in LA.  With that additional mistake, we may be able to move things around a little bit so that the divisions look like this:

Sparrow League

East
Ankeny ACLs (MD)
Barbuda/Antigua Bulldogs (LA)
Brooklyn Kraken (MI)
Roxbury Robots (MA)
Orange City Devils (DC)

Central
Brooklyn Kraken (MI)
Chicago Rum Runners (MO)
Motor City Madmen (MI)
Scurvy Dogs (SD)
Windy City Rattlers (IL)

Roberts League

Northwest
Grants Pass Brewers (OR)
River City Cutthroats (WA)
Scurvy Dogs (SD)
Seattle Rainiers (WA)
Walla Walla Sweets (WA)

Southwest
Arizona Asterisks (AZ)
AZ Koi (AZ)
Bako Bums (Southern California)
Bronxville Bombers (AZ)
Orange City Devils (DC)

I don't know how you address the expansion team issue.  Both of those Pac NW teams are about as Pac and NW as you can get.
I think the issue with the 2 expansion teams is the biggest of the "small" issues.  In other words, probably not a big deal that in the first season of realignment, the Northwest Division will be a battle between three 2017 playoff teams (Cutty's, Dogs, Sweets).

I like your tweaks, David.  I say go to print.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #21
Except I hate the fact I'm in the same division as Matt AND Brendt.  I mean, seriously, how am I supposed to maintain friendships with these guys when I keep landing on top year after year?

Reply #22
Oh Kyle, I think that Arizona sun has finally cooked your brain.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #23
Except I hate the fact I'm in the same division as Matt AND Brendt.  I mean, seriously, how am I supposed to maintain friendships with these guys when I keep landing on top year after year?

It saddens me that I'm not included in that list.  Shows how good the teams I field usually are.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #24
I agree that the geography matter is the smaller issue. I really don't have to be in the Central Division because I'm in Michigan.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #25
Dave's tweaks make sense.  I was gonna propose simply swapping the Barbuda/Antigua Bulldogs & the Orange County Devils (LA the state is more south than east in the important ways ^_^, imo), but he adjusts some of the other geographic quirks which I hadn't noticed.  I'm in DC, despite "playing" at the Big A, or whatever it's called now. 

As a Bay Area college grad, I think Northern CA in the southwest feels funny (Sacto is even more separate!) but I bet folks from Humboldt State would agree.  Plus, I think all of us remember when the current WS would've been an original NL West divisional matchup! 
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #26

It saddens me that I'm not included in that list.  Shows how good the teams I field usually are.

I agree that the geography matter is the smaller issue. I really don't have to be in the Central Division because I'm in Michigan.
That, or our friendship is so solid already that I'm not even worried? :)

Reply #27
Hey CO, has everybody responded YES to the roll call?  I assume they have.  But there's one concern I'm sure we all have that no one has voiced as of yet: When somebody has to quit and is replaced.  It's probably cool to just plug that new ownership in no matter where they reside, but alignment in this fashion may have to happen every 4-5 years if we want to keep it this way.

Reply #28
As to the Nomads being in the Southwest, the answer is simple.  Matt just needs to move.

Reply #29
At Kyle's prompting, and because I just can't listen to anymore analysis of the World Series, here's my take.  I like it a lot.  I like the natural rivalries. 

With all these big changes, it may be time to say goodbye to the old Sparrow and Roberts Leagues.  Since we are adding a bunch of SCRUBS folks maybe we could have a league name that reflects their inclusion.  I don't have any specific ideas as it's been a few years since I was part of SCRUBS, but I think something that referenced their league would be a nice welcome.

Thoughts.
I think you're right about the names.  What about Mutiny Scrubs Baseball?  I mean, www.msbsim.com is, as current, redundant. :)