Skip to main content
Topic: Realignment? (Read 11568 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Realignment?

Reply #30
At Kyle's prompting, and because I just can't listen to anymore analysis of the World Series, here's my take.  I like it a lot.  I like the natural rivalries. 

With all these big changes, it may be time to say goodbye to the old Sparrow and Roberts Leagues.  Since we are adding a bunch of SCRUBS folks maybe we could have a league name that reflects their inclusion.  I don't have any specific ideas as it's been a few years since I was part of SCRUBS, but I think something that referenced their league would be a nice welcome.

Thoughts.
I think you're right about the names.  What about Mutiny Scrubs Baseball?  I mean, www.msbsim.com is, as current, redundant. :)

Scrutiny???
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #31
I didn't want to say it to rock the boat as I love the idea overall, but a team from Northern California being in the a division labled Southwest is a weird proposition.  I definitely liked the original setup more, though I realized we had to shift things and it makes sense the way it's currently proposed.

How bout we call it the West or the Wild West.  Pacific Northwest.  Central.  East. 

Don't expect any southward migrations folks.  I can't get any further from Brandon's Brewery (free brews?) than I already am.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #32
Would this work:

Keep the Northwest as I originally had it, but just call it "West".
Rainiers, Brewers, Cutty's, Nomads, Sweets

The South:
Asterisks, Koi, Bombers, Bums, Bulldogs

The Central:
Dogs, Rattlers, Kraken, Landlubbers, Rum Runners

The East:
Madmen, OCD, ACLs, Cache Hogs, Robots
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #33
I wasn't necessarily thinking about renaming the league as a whole.  I'm still very partial to Mutiny dating back to it's origins.

I had thought more about the league names.  Instead of the Sparrow and Roberts, it could be at name that is associated with SCRUBS and a name associated with the Mutiny.  It's easy to find the pirate theme in Mutiny but difficult to determine a theme in SCRUBS.

One thought is that the S in SCRUBS stands for society.  Perhaps one league could be called the Great Society, High Society, Royal Society, The Society or something along those lines.  The other could be called something Pirate related like the Golden Age, Golden Age of Piracy, Pirates of the Caribbean, or something else like that.

I'm kinda of grasping at straws here.  Not being able to identify a theme for SCRUBS has me stumped.

Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #34
Scrub & Scrum divisions maybe? 

Bit of a reach, but rum is in scrum, plus scrum is also a sports term/derivation of scrimmage.  Plus I think we have a few programmers/developers in our midst?  Scrub also has a vaguely pirate-y tie-in since it's a synonym for swab (the deck). 
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #35
I can definitely imagine a scrum of pirates.  It's actually a rugby term and if there was ever game I could see Pirates play, Rugby would be it.  Or hangman.  That's a toss up.

I like the suggestions.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #36
I'm also good with Kyle's latest divisional set up.

Would this work:

Keep the Northwest as I originally had it, but just call it "West".

The South:

The Central:

The East:
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #37
I'll second that proposal by Kyle.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #38
Do we really want two of the more data driven teams in the same division in the east?!?!? I feel like the Cache Hogs have already hacked my computer for research. :)

Honestly, it doesn't matter that much, so I'm fine with this plan (or any other alternative). Teams get better, teams get worse, eventually, it will get mixed up enough. :)
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #39
Well said. We all tend to look at the right now but the goal of any competitive league would be for cyclical changes to the standings. Doesn’t always happen of course but that would be the goal
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #40
With all these big changes, it may be time to say goodbye to the old Sparrow and Roberts Leagues.  Since we are adding a bunch of SCRUBS folks maybe we could have a league name that reflects their inclusion.  I don't have any specific ideas as it's been a few years since I was part of SCRUBS, but I think something that referenced their league would be a nice welcome.

The Scully!

It doesn't reference anything pirate related, but I've been a part of the Scully Division/Conference every season in SCRUBS.  THE greatest announcer ever in any sport!
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #41
On the issue itself, I'm not gong to voice much of an opinion since I don't know most the GM's/owners (what do you call them here?).  I will say I was not looking forward to battling BOTH Kyle and Matt in the realignment of the realignment...

But that in itself is only because I know the two of them so well from both SCRUBS and MSB.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #42
I didn't want to say it to rock the boat as I love the idea overall, but a team from Northern California being in the a division labled Southwest is a weird proposition.  I definitely liked the original setup more, though I realized we had to shift things and it makes sense the way it's currently proposed.

How bout we call it the West or the Wild West.  Pacific Northwest.  Central.  East. 

Don't expect any southward migrations folks.  I can't get any further from Brandon's Brewery (free brews?) than I already am.

Sounds like I'm going to need to save a seat for you at the bar, Matt!  We're still in the process of opening, but once we're up and running you're welcome anytime...I think we might be able to spot you a pint or two.

On realignment, I really like the idea of the regional divisions
Brandon Crews
Grants Pass Brewers

Reply #43
Regarding website addresses, there is a long explanation for the URLs.  They've only been used because they were convienent - believe it or not neither had anything to do with Mutiny when registered.  One was for a board game Scott and I were working on and the other was for a horse racing simulation league (don't ask).  If someone has a great idea for a catchy URL let me know...

As for realignment I'm seeing no objections to the following.  I'd be okay with it as long as we don't expect to realign every time an owner moves.  Changing team names, moving divisions, etc. does require a significant amount of work for Rod, David and I as these things have implications in DMB, spreadsheets, website, etc.   Now is the perfect time to do it as we will need to make these types of changes for expansion. 

Current proposed and damn near final realignment is:
Western Division

Southern Division

Central Division

Eastern Division

Darrell
River City Cutthroats

Reply #44
We need more brainstorming regarding league names.

I will add that while I absolutely love the Mutiny name and the pirate references, I have no connection with the pirate league names.  I'd be up for finding something baseball related for league names.  Scully and Niehaus? 
Darrell
River City Cutthroats