Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Daniel Flores (Read 1147 times) previous topic - next topic

RIP Daniel Flores

There have been so many tragic losses recently and it's gotten to the point where at times I've almost felt numb to them.  Today I read the sad news of Daniel Flores passing due to complications from cancer.  Just 17, Daniel had signed recently as a July 2nd signing and the fact he was dealing with cancer came totally out of nowhere. 

I had read about Daniel Flores being one of the best July 2nd prospects of the year, one of the best catching prospects in decades and the comparisons to Gary Sanchez, who I drafted long ago, had me all in on the kid from Venezuela.  At least 12 or 13 times I had kicked myself thinking someone was about to draft him and I'd missed on the kid.  I agonizingly waited for my pick to come up, and when I finally typed in the words, Nomads select Daniel Flores, C, Red Sox, I literally jumped to my feet and pumped my fist a'la Kirk Gibson.

I'll admit I didn't know a lot about the kid, beyond his baseball skills, but he sounds like a wonderful, happy, hardworking kid. Mature beyond his years.  A quick study.  A great teammate.  I realize this is probably ridiculous to say, because who the hell are the Foothill Nomads, but this organization IS deeply saddened by the loss of such a great young man and we wish his family and those that had the pleasure of knowing him the very best as they come to terms with this tragedy.

RIP Daniel Flores

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/daniel-flores-passes-away/#VP1XTkRpPYrqavip.97
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Re: RIP Daniel Flores

Reply #1
Very sad news for that family.  I have a 16 year old at home and I can't imagine losing him.  Tragic loss.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: RIP Daniel Flores

Reply #2
Wow.  Such a sad story.  Cancer truly sucks. 
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion