Skip to main content
Topic: ROUGAROU - Manny Pina - C - $3.12M/2019 (Read 6480 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Manny Pina - C

Reply #15
I have mixed feelings on this. Once a guy goes almost the full 24 hours without a bid, I start to count him as mine. It hurts then when someone comes in with a late bid to burst that bubble. On the other hand, the rules say you have 24 hours to make a bid so it's hard to get mad at someone abiding by the rules. I've been on both sides. I actually like the system and the drama it creates. It gives owners a chance to be fluid with their options as the market moves.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #16
I have mixed feelings on this. Once a guy goes almost the full 24 hours without a bid, I start to count him as mine. It hurts then when someone comes in with a late bid to burst that bubble. On the other hand, the rules say you have 24 hours to make a bid so it's hard to get mad at someone abiding by the rules. I've been on both sides. I actually like the system and the drama it creates. It gives owners a chance to be fluid with their options as the market moves.
I did the same thing with Vazquez.  I actually officially put him on my unofficial roster about 30 mins before I was outbid.  Agh!!!  But yes, the rules are the rules.  It wouldn't matter if it was 12 hours, 24 hours, or 48.  People will always have things shaken up and be forced to move onto target #2 or #3, then back to #1...  It's not a perfect system, but it's more fluid and interactive than anything else I can think of.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #17
The issue is that you can't be "fluid with your options". Unless I drag along options 2 and 3 with late bids they may be gone when my guy gets out bid with 15 minutes to go. It happened twice to me last night and my 2nd and 3rd options are gone. I will learn to juts drag them along for now on and if I win some I don't want I will have to deal with trading.
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #18
The issue is that you can't be "fluid with your options". Unless I drag along options 2 and 3 with late bids they may be gone when my guy gets out bid with 15 minutes to go. It happened twice to me last night and my 2nd and 3rd options are gone. I will learn to juts drag them along for now on and if I win some I don't want I will have to deal with trading.
I get this side of the argument too. Your alternate option might be gone by the time your guy gets bid up. I just don't know how you change the system without creating different flaws. But doesn't that happen in real life too. Jay Bruce or Carlos Santana might look like a nice backup plan if your primary FA target fails to sign with you but it's too late to fall back on that plan now since someone else beat you to him.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #19
Craig,  your scenario is exactly what prompted me to have to place a bid on Piña. Like Dan said, it’s a system that has its flaws, but over the last 10 years I think we’ve addressed most of them. I know the commissioners are always open to new ideas, so please don’t be silent if you have thoughts about improving things.

Reply #20
lucky you that Pina was still there. I don't have enough fantasy sports time shares in this league to go up against the CO. Plus I'm still bitter about the changes that happen without any transparency and that allow CO GMs to have inside knowledge throughout the year when building their team.
Craig
Ann Arbor Landlubbers

Reply #21
unless we move from bidding via forum posts to a program/widget (maybe a free one exists out there but I think it'd still require a lot of customization) that can handle conditional bids, I don't see any other way.  I've gotten used to our system.  If the Rattlers had posted 20 mins earlier, I'dve then put in another Brantley bid (which expired maybe 15 mins after mine did) or pivoted to pitching & looked for LF depth in the next round, annoying a different group of managers/bidders. 

I suppose we could expedite some top players by making their auctions strictly time-capped.  Maybe three per round, closing at 9pm Monday.  Something like that.  But I guess that might be adding flavor more than resolving the above issue of juggling menu options.  ^_^
HGH fka theOCD

Disproving the Pythagorean Theorem of Baseball, year after year...

Reply #22
I think we’re all on the same page regarding the auction system. Does it have its flaws? Absolutely. But I don’t know of a better system besides all 20 of us getting together and doing a live auction 1 player at a time.

One last comment. The CO did not have prior knowledge of expansion (let alone the expansion rules) or arbitration prior to the trade deadline. Some of my moves, specifically trading for Andrus, was for naught as well. So we’re all relatively in the same boat in that regard. Not going to lie, some teams were impacted more by expansion than others. But none of us had “insider trading” that this was going down. If anyone needs more clarification on this topic please hit me up offline.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #23
I think we’re all on the same page regarding the auction system. Does it have its flaws? Absolutely. But I don’t know of a better system besides all 20 of us getting together and doing a live auction 1 player at a time.

I've participated in live drafts before and even they have flaws. To use an example from our auction, I might pass on a $3M Cabrera thinking I'm going to get a $2M Santana. When Santana ends up auctioning later for $4M, I could regret not bidding more on Cabrera.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #24
100% accurate
There isn’t a perfect system
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #25
100% accurate
There isn’t a perfect system

I stumbled across this discussion and I think the same thing happened last week. I thought, what is all the bidding for Manny Pina about?

I think anytime something comes up like this it should move off of the player bids and to a general forum board. This system is better than you think.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Reply #26
2.6M
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #27
Brian Barnes - Rougarou

World Series Champions
MSB - 2023 (Rougarou); LOB - 2022 (Zeros); ATB - XVII (Zeros); CDBL - 2002, 2001 (Fishbiscuits); CJPL - 2017 (Zeros); NVL - 2010 (Rougarou)

Pennant Winner
ATB - XIV (Fishbiscuits); FGD NL - 2016 (Zeros), TOTBL - 2022 (Yankees)

Reply #28
LOL.  I'm curious - the point is? 

Reply #29
The league needs 40+ catchers . . .In real life there are only 30 that have more than 100 AB's and bat for more than .250. 

I LOVE IT!!!!

*numbers are approximate because if I look at another spreadsheet today I'll lose it #worksucksmorethansimbaseball
Darrell
River City Cutthroats