Skip to main content
Topic: DMB- deal with the changes! (Read 1527 times) previous topic - next topic

DMB- deal with the changes!

I see that another team used Tampa Bay's "opener" strategy today, where a relief pitcher starts the game and goes one inning. So, that is at least 4 teams that have done it now.  (quick edit, I was wrong about today, starter was scratched but they still had him in the box score after one inning was pitched by replacement)

This made me wonder about how Diamond Mind Baseball will deal with this phenomenon, if at all.  We have all already wondered what they will do with DH/Pitcher Othani........and the similar players coming up through the minor leagues.
My guess is that they will ignore it. After all, there still is no place to designate a LOOGY.
Jim
Arizona Koi

Re: DMB- deal with the changes!

Reply #1
I'm still pining for a LOOGY setting.  I don't think it will ever come.

I have wondered about the 1 inning starter as well.

They could decide not to rate the player as a starter even though they have starts.  It could be similar to how they deal with position players in shifts.  Sometimes those shifts will give a player such as a 3b innings as a 2b or as a ss. 

From what I have read, they will look the plays more closely when an abnormality comes up and often will not qualify them at the position even though they may have enough innings a the position to qualify under normal circumstances.

I'm sure it will be something simple like that.

Ohtani is still very interesting.  With his injury it will be interesting to see how he fares in Free Agency. 
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Re: DMB- deal with the changes!

Reply #2
DMB doesn’t have anything I place to handle someone like Ohtani. The biggest challenge for them is going to be with usage. Currently pitchers are not evaluated against the batter usage rules and same for batters pitching. So what that means is you could play Bumgarner as your full-time DH and never have him “burn-out”. Same for putting a batter into the rotation. The usage rules don’t apply. My guess is he’ll get a DH designation in the system next year which means you can pitch him full time and never worry about usage. Sort of breaks the game...

As for the openers, my guess is DMB will have to give them a starter rating. It will be Poor, as that’s the worst they have. Maybe they only give Poor ratings to the openers, which also sort of breaks the game as it will bump everyone else’s ratings up. No idea how they handle that the way the software is currently written.

It’s really kind of messed up. There’s a lot of updating that needs to be done (15 day vs 10 day DL for example) but my guess is we won’t see an update. We’ll see...
Rod
Scurvy Dogs