Skip to main content
Topic: Post-Draft Personal Analysis Questions - just for fun (Read 2349 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post-Draft Personal Analysis Questions - just for fun

Reply #15
The fact that guys I want to draft aren't being taken from me makes me think I'm not as good a researcher as the others.
I often wonder if some of the guys I took in, say, the 5th or 6th round were even on the radar of some guys.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #16
I often wonder if some of the guys I took in, say, the 5th or 6th round were even on the radar of some guys.
I'll bite on this. I'll bet 2/3 of the guys drafted after the 4th round weren't on my list...at least not at that time. But my lists are always evolving as I make selections. And, as one of the weaker farm systems in the league, perhaps I'm just not as good at this as others. I think many others do a better job researching guys performing well who might be breakouts while I concentrate more on lists and FV ratings that might lag behind current performance.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #17
I'll bite on this. I'll bet 2/3 of the guys drafted after the 4th round weren't on my list...at least not at that time. But my lists are always evolving as I make selections. And, as one of the weaker farm systems in the league, perhaps I'm just not as good at this as others. I think many others do a better job researching guys performing well who might be breakouts while I concentrate more on lists and FV ratings that might lag behind current performance.

Dan, I would guess that the reason for the minor league roster being lower down has more to do with your playoff pushes than poor drafting. You've been pushing for that Championship and that can be costly.

I don't know if you drafted them but I was certainly thrilled to trade for several minor leaguers off your roster at the deadline last year and then in the offseason.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #18
1) Which of you picks are you most excited to see develop? Gunnar Hoglund TOR-SP as a big-time SEC talent, he'll have to recover from TJS, but when he's back I expect he'll be dominant.
2) Which pick(s) do you think was your biggest "steal"? Ed Howard, #16 overall in the 2021 draft and I landed him in the middle of the 5th.
3) Which pick(s) do you think was your biggest risk and/or "reach"? Not much of a risk-taker, I was watching Kelley and Thompson, both Chicago White Sox prospects and both fell until I selected them.
4) Which pick(s) do you consider your "sleeper pick"? Triantos from Chicago Cubs. Young for his class, over-slot signee and still hitting for a high AVG/OBP in his first taste of pro ball.
4) Of all your picks, which one is the most likely to be waived first? Ezequiel Tovar as Colorado is awful at handling their prospects.
5) Besides the first round, roughly (just guess) how many times did another GM choose a player you wanted RIGHT BEFORE you (one or two picks ahead)? five
6) Now that the draft is over, is there any pick you look at and think, "why didn't I wait a few more rounds on that guy?" Adrian Del Castillo as a catcher, he might have a position change and drafting catchers is such a hit and miss game.
7) Is there any player you didn't get that you'd gladly trade now to the team that got him for one of your higher picks? Jose Salas MIA-SS went overlooked in my opinion and had I found him sooner, I probably would have drafted in the single digits of the draft.
8 ) Totally optional: Don’t give away your favorite sites, but do you pay for private prospects sites to aid in your pre-draft studies? Just a yes or no question, really. Elaborate at your own risk. No, I have often pondered doing that and could easily spread across all my sim and fantasy leagues and justify anything under $50/year.
9) Anything else you'd like to add?
This was an odd draft, not having a rookie draft last season left a lot of talent to be taken. Many players didn't play and having our draft late in the season allowed them to put out some tape, stats and re-rankings from some sites across the prospect land.
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)