Skip to main content
Topic: Salary from trades (Read 1779 times) previous topic - next topic

Salary from trades

I just noticed when looking at the league spreadsheet that it says the Brewers have 2018 signings worth $3.75M.  I haven't signed anyone yet and it looks like this number is coming from picking up the $4M salary of Hanley Ramirez and sending the $250K salary of Mark Reynolds to the Asterisks.  My question is, do the salaries involved in trades count towards total free agent signings for the year?  I'm assuming its just a result of the formula in the column just being a simple subtraction of the teams salary at the start of free agency from the current salary, but I just wanted to check.
Brandon Crews
Grants Pass Brewers

Re: Salary from trades

Reply #2
Should be fixed now.  I decided to just manually calculate signings going forward.  It's a lot simpler.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
Thanks David!
Brandon Crews
Grants Pass Brewers

Reply #4
David, I've got a fun one for you... I'm gonna be close to that $50M figure this year.  If I trade Simmons or Cozart after signing them this FA period, does the money I spent on them come back to me in the signing column?
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion

Reply #5
David, I've got a fun one for you... I'm gonna be close to that $50M figure this year.  If I trade Simmons or Cozart after signing them this FA period, does the money I spent on them come back to me in the signing column?

You're making my head hurt....

I'll have to discuss with the CO.  I don't think we've ever dealt with that before.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #6

I think in the spirit (if not the letter) of the rule, it shouldn't come back to you to spend. You spent on Simmons and Cozart initially, so they should count towards the $50 million. What you do with them afterwards is up to you, but you did initially sign them. Just my 2 cents there.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #7
100% agree
We discussed as a CO and we came back with the exact same answer, I just hadn’t had a chance to post.

Each team gets up to $50 mill to spend in each FA session. What you do with those players once you sign them is completely up to you. But it doesn’t change how much you can spend in FA.
Rod
Scurvy Dogs

Reply #8
I'm totally cool with that.  Thanks.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion