Skip to main content
Topic: MSB is the gold standard (Read 1216 times) previous topic - next topic

MSB is the gold standard

To the Commissioner's office and the owners of MSB:

I have been intending to make this post the last few days and have forgotten about it several times until I saw the league site at the top of my open pages and reminded myself once again.

I joined this league a few years ago, as we were finishing up the playoffs. That team was top heavy and was eliminated after a wild card birth. This post isn't about my team, but about this league as a whole. You see MSB was my second simulation baseball league. The first one folded mid-season and the reason to me is still unknown, but that doesn't matter. This started an addiction of sorts, but really fueled my inner-love for baseball, something greater than fantasy baseball. As Chris Longo put it, "we do this for the love of the game."

I've been involved in multiple leagues in the last few yeas, different owner's, different league formats, but none of them can compete with MSB. I don't know if it's the website, the kick-ass spreadsheet that was developed, modified, modified again and has now stabilized into something that is just awesome and that I'm attempting to use while modifying myself to the greatest of my abilities.

I thought that as the 2019 season has come to a close and we approach the off-season, we should look around and see how good this thing really is. Thank our fellow owner's for the consistency that they put out and the C.O. for the behind the scenes work that gets done to make this thing run like the well-oiled machine it is intended to be.

That is all!
Brent A. Brown
Chicago Rum Runners
President of Baseball Operations

World Series Champions
CJWL - 2017 (Grinders)

LCS
NABL-AL 2018 (Louisville Bats)

Re: MSB is the gold standard

Reply #1
I second No D's sentiments.  MSB is second to none.

I was part of the leadership team of a DMB league for more than a decade and I can tell you it's the collection of GM's that make the league.  Leadership is important and we have a first rate leadership team in Darrell, David and Rod, but even with great leadership, it comes down to the buy in from the GM's.  With active and involved GM's the league not only runs smoothly but is fun . . . and isn't that the underlying reason we all do this?  I've only been back in MSB for a couple seasons, but I can tell you I have not been part of a better collection of guys than this. 

Many thanks to Darrell, David and Rod for their leadership, and equal gratitude to all the GM's for making this league as outstanding as it is.
Brendt Crews
Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Reply #2
I totally agree. I've been cutting back on many other leagues that I've been been with for quite some time. The various layers in the league make it the most complex and realistic yet it runs without a hitch. The commissioners are great and I'm sure that is the reason for the success. MSB has spoiled me from wanting to play in other leagues. This gives me everything I desire in SIM baseball.
Dan
Brooklyn Kraken

Reply #3
Having run a league with Brendt for ages, I agree with what he said here. The depth of complexity of the league is great, but it really comes down to the COs who do a great job overall of keeping the league organized and on the move. It's a tough job, but they do a great job there. Plus, we have a great lineup of GMs in the league and that makes such a difference. The level of competition is tough, so you know when you achieve something, you've earned it. Great job all around.
Jason
Ankeny ACLs

"I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me now. I say 'F#@& you Jobu', I do it myself."
-Pedro Cerrano, Major League

Reply #4
Guys,

I got a little misty-eyed reading your posts.  Thank you all for your kind words.  I know we'll keep doing our best to keep this league the gold standard.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #5
Agreed!  I'll just say amen to all the awesome GMs making the league fantastic, but dude.  The website is amazing (Darrell).  The spreadsheet is outstanding (David).  And Rod's faithfulness in running the games is second to none.  Not to mention the slow and steady rolling out of new and appropriate rule changes to keep things competitive and fun.
Kyle - 2008, 2015, 2019 MSB Champion