Bako Bums

World Series Champions
SCRUBS Modern Baseball League
Bums - 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016

Mutiny Simulation Baseball League
Spits - 2007, 2009

Re: Miners waive

Reply #2
I'm going to relegate him if not claimed.
David
Phoenix Miners

Reply #3
Question    What does shipping to the minors actually accomplish in the Mutiny league ?   Clear a spot on your 40 man roster I guess.   The salary still fully counts against your cap.  He will be a FA next year.    Maybe if he finds Love Potion #9 and has an AllStar year in 2023 you can bid in Free Agency next year and get the 10% HTD.    For what other reasons ?    Maybe you need to fill in innings later in the year.    But this league doesn't have a hard cap of PT limits.  You could pitch anyone past their actual stats,   In theory Price could pitch triple his 40 MLB innings granted at replacement level outcomes (even though I think the DMB software has bad programming on this and players don't do as badly as they should)      

Also if someone were to claim him how much of his salary would the new team need to pick up or just a certain minimum ?   

I'm not attacking anyone here.   Just starting a conversation as a new owner looking to get all the angles figured.  
Bob Miller
The Great Auk

Reply #4
Hi Bob, good question.

I think everyone has different strategies for waivers. The most obvious benefits for a waiver is the make room on the 40 man. But sometimes you might also waive a player because you hope that that player gets claimed and frees up salary for you without having to trade an asset to dump the salary.

So why you would move them to the minors? It could be that the player still has value, and you want to keep them so you can promote later in the season to use. Or it could be that you don't want the salary to go to non-roster obligation where you no longer can trade it. Sometimes it's nice to have a few matching salaries for a trade. Or maybe, a trade comes along later in FA where someone takes the player off your hand (like Haniger) and you then free up the money. Had I just dumped him, I would not have been able to free up that money this week.

That should answer your last questions. When you make a claim, you take on the full contact includes salary and years.

Others may have some additional strategies as well.
Matt
Mother Lode Argonauts

Reply #5
Bob,

Matt is completely correct.  Unless and until I fill up those minor league slots in the upcoming draft and absolutely need that spot on my minor league team, Price still has potential value in a trade.  So why drop him if the cost to me to keep is zero?
David
Phoenix Miners